Meet our Chaplain
Rev Marshall (Tim) attended school in Bloemfontein (St Andrew’s), after which he completed a Bachelor of Commerce degree at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University. He went on further to gain a Diploma in Theology at the Theological Education by Extension College (TEEC) in 2003, followed by an Honours Degree in Practical Theology from UNISA in 2007.
Tim brings with him a wealth of experience in ministering to young people having served as the Youth Pastor at St. John’s Methodist Church (Port Elizabeth) for eleven years, and then as the Youth Director and an Associate Minister at Walmer Methodist Church. In his eight years at Walmer he has overseen all areas of Youth and Children’s Ministry and worked extensively in local schools. His considerable experience in working with young people in Port Elizabeth will give Tim an ideal platform on which to build his ministry at Kingswood.
In addition to his extensive Youth Ministry work, Tim has also worked in the media field particularly radio and continues to do voice over work for radio adverts. Tim also enjoys facilitating corporate and parent workshops on a variety of topics and is often asked to present talks around understanding millennials, the Enneagram and the impact of technology on families.
Tim is married to Terri Blake, a chiropractor, and so he claims to be ‘well adjusted’.
They have two young children Luke (5) and Caryn (3).
The Memorial Chapel
The first suggestion that Kingswood should have a Chapel of its own was made on 14 March 1903 at the first Annual General Meeting of the Old Kingswoodians Club. It was proposed that ‘some permanent memorial should be erected to the memory of any Old Kingswoodians that had fallen in the late war. The President (E G Gane) remarked that the only fitting place for such a memorial was a School Chapel’.
The College, at that time, had suffered the loss of two old Kingswoodians in the Anglo-Boer War. But then came World War I, followed by World War II, during which the College losses were horrendous. It was at the Reunion of the Old Kingswoodians in 1946 that the issue of a Memorial Chapel was taken up in earnest. Mr Jack Slater, the Headmaster at the time, proposed that the Old Kingswoodians should aim at raising funds for the building of a College Chapel, a long-felt need. A chapel would help develop the corporate spirit of the College and it would be a place where things precious to the School could be kept.
And so the Chapel scheme was launched. Over the years from 1946 until the building of the Chapel began in 1961, much thought, research and planning went into the project. Gradually two principles began to take root in the minds of the committee charged with the responsibility of building the Chapel:
a) because we have scholars at Kingswood from various denominations it must be a building in which they can feel spiritually at home;
b) it must be a building that would house not only the whole School but also be in keeping with the other buildings on the campus.”
With these two goals held firmly in mind, the committee set out to build, as far as it was able, a Chapel on traditional ecclesiastical lines and in the Kingswood style of architecture. The Chapel is, therefore, cruciform in shape to remind us that God’s plan for the salvation of mankind cost Jesus Christ the Cross.
It seemed right that here in a place of Christian education, even the structure of the Chapel should teach and bear its silent testimony to things eternal. Therefore, it should be traditionally correct in its architectural details.
The Chapel is central to school life at Kingswood.
Commemoration Methodist Church – our first spiritual home
Commemoration Church, situated in the centre of Grahamstown, has long been associated with Kingswood College. It was the Leaders’ Meeting of the Commemoration congregation that pledged support for the idea of the ‘Committee of Gentlemen’ in 1892 to found the School.
In their book Still Upon a Frontier, the history of Kingswood’s first hundred years, Rev Howard Kirkby and his wife Joyce write as follows :
‘Once the School opened, its scholars attended the Church regularly. It was also the decision of the Leaders that the School be seated in the gallery. Whether this was because the trustees of the Church feared that the downstairs pews would fall victim to the penknives of the scholars (which they did!) is not known, but the gallery balustrade and pews illustrate the art and the craft of schoolboy carving and their yearning for immortality!’
While Kingswood pupils now worship in the College Chapel, the link with Commem Methodist Church is still maintained.