Constructed in honour of Kingswoodians who fell during the World Wars, our beautiful Chapel stands at the heart of the Kingswood College community and underpins our Christian (Methodist) heritage, ethos and values. For all of us here, the Chapel is more than just the building: it reflects our sense of belonging and of what it means to be a Kingswoodian.
The Chapel Tech Upgrade Campaign
The Kingswood College Chapel is not just the foundation and the cornerstone of the school, but also its centre – playing a vital role in the lives of all Kingswoodians and functioning as the main venue for most important events.
Kingswood Stories and the 125 Photo Mosaic are two initiatives to raise funds to upgrade the
technology in the Chapel (read more about this here). To get involved in either of these initiatives, please email Rev. Tim: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kingswood Chaplain, Rev. Tim Marshall has spear-headed a project called Kingswood Stories which displays ‘then & now” plaques with photos and descriptions in key positions across campus.
To see what plaques are available and how to purchase a Story, download the booklet:
125 Photo Mosaic
Also a funding initiative for the Chapel tech upgrade, the 125 Photo Mosaic will be made up of thousands of individuals who make up the Kingswood family, and will be displayed in a prominent place on campus at the end of the year. We are inviting anyone who loves Kingswood to donate R125 towards our vision and have their photo included in this historic photo. To find out more email email@example.com
The School Chaplain is Methodist minister Reverend Tim Marshall. Rev Tim is involved in many aspects of school life and plays an important role in pastoral care throughout the Junior and Senior School. He is available to everyone in the school community: staff, parents and pupils for spiritual guidance or counselling and support and he provides a safe, caring and confidential space for anyone who seeks him out.
A dynamic and passionate man, Rev Tim is has a special connection with the Kingswood pupils, and is integrally involved in campus life – from joining in on Outdoor education trips, to leading a worship service or ministry, you will often see him joking with pupils and supporting events.
Ps. from Rev Tim: Traditionally, the Chaplain’s study (upstairs at the back of the Chapel), is called ‘heaven’, and there are actually sweets in heaven too – so feel free to pop by and visit any time!
The Chapel is open every day and accessible to every member of the school community. The Senior School has a devotion every Monday during assembly and the Junior School comes together every Wednesday morning with grades 4 – 7 taking turns to lead the service. The whole College gathers together every Friday morning for a short service.
The Sunday services are mostly at 18:30 and are led by the various boarding houses with main services usually at 9:30 am. Please feel free to worship with us on Sundays (contact us to confirm the time or consult the school calendar).
Our Christian identity permeates through all we do, but specifically, there are a number of ministries:
- Chapel Stewards influence all aspects of school life and take the lead behind the scenes and upfront during Chapel services. There is a junior team in grade 7 and the Senior Chapel Stewards are made up of grade 11 and 12 pupils. The two teams are in mentoring relationships and Rev Tim oversees both teams for discipleship, leadership development and training.
- KWAM (Kids with a Mission) is our Friday evening junior children’s ministry.
- SCA (Student Christian Association) also meets on Fridays and caters for our senior grades.
- The Worship Team is the group that leads worship at various SCA evenings and Sunday services.
- The annual Youth Camp is available for senior pupils.
- Community Engagement– there is usually one Chapel Outreach weekend per year (senior school) and various activities are offered to pupils. Mrs Cathy Gush spearheads these life-changing opportunities.
For parents and/or pupils:
- Dads and Lads/Dads and Daughters Camps are launching in 2019. These weekends away will alternate every year and are for dads and their 11-12-year-old sons/daughters. A strong bond with dad is vital for a child’s identity, maturity and for making wise decisions.
- Parents in Prayer is a Whatsapp group for parents who would like to join other parents in praying for our Kingswood family. Just a few posts per week (maximum of one post per day) and only Rev Tim can post to the group (only admin can send messages to the group).
Parent Workshops: good parenting is crucial to a child’s wellbeing and we love to provide spaces to learn from each other, provide encouragement and skills.
Confirmation is available to all grade 10 – 12 pupils at Kingswood. Pupils are invited to explore and confirm their faith in our annual Confirmation Programme.
Meet our Chaplain
Rev Tim Marshall brings with him a wealth of experience in ministering to young people, having served as the Youth Pastor at St. John’s Methodist Church (Port Elizabeth) for eleven years, and then as the Youth Director and Associate Minister at Walmer Methodist Church. In his eight years at Walmer Methodist, he was responsible for all areas of Youth and Children’s Ministry and worked extensively in local schools.