Where friends become family
Senior Girl’s Boarding Houses
Originally the Main House of the Wesleyan High School for Girls (built in 1882) the building was taken over by Kingswood in 1935, and named after Reverend Dr G H P Jacques CMG MBE who became Chairman of the College Council and served as such from July 1938 to December 1946.
Jacques House becoming the senior girl’s boarding house in 1976, following the introduction of co-education at Kingswood in 1973.
While traditional in its values, there is a bright and vibrant spirit in Jacques House that encompasses all the girls who call it home.
Dianne Price is the Jacques House houseperson, and she lives there with her husband Mark and one of her three children, Shayne (Jessie and Hayley having matriculated).
Houseperson: Mrs Dianne Price
Assistant Houseperson: Mrs Sam Nlovu
House Matron: Christine Redelinghuys
Student assistants: Miss Keagan Moody, Ms Kaitlyn Breetske, Ms Emma Bell
Teacher assistant: Miss Cassie Lister
Head of House: Masa Gabaraane
Prefects: Amy Mills (Deputy Head Girl), Lushana van Heerden, Kirsty Wicks, Bridget Mildenhall, Ciana Daniels, Francoise Marais and Sali Bikani
In 2004 the Council resolved to develop a second senior girl’s boarding House in the front garden of Jacques House. The House would be the first in Kingswood’s history to be built specifically for girls and it was named Kirkby House to acknowledge the immense contribution made to Kingswood, in so many different ways over an extended period by the Reverend Howard Kirkby and his wife, Joyce.
Kirkby House took its place amongst the College’s historic Houses when it was officially opened on 12 March 2005.
Therese Carlson is the presiding Houseperson and she lives in Kirkby with her husband, Graham, son Riley and small but ever-increasing menagerie of cats and dogs.
Houseperson: Mrs Theresé Carlson
Assistant Houseperson: Ms Nomaxabiso Bill
House Matron: Ms Nomaxabiso Bill
House tutors: Ms Sheard; Mrs Van Molendorff; Mrs Carlson; Mrs Loubscher; Ms Tisani; Mrs Vorster; Ms Aspeling
Head of House: Kristina Mutuku
Prefects: Siya Nomoyi (Head girl)
Senior Boy’s Boarding houses
Chubb house occupies the North wing of School House, the foundation stone of which was laid on 14 March 1894. Only completed in the latter half of 1898, it originally included the College’s dining hall, until the Memorial Dining Hall was built in 1942.
Disaster in its worst form struck this grand old building on the evening of 4 June 1996, when it was almost totally destroyed by fire. Wisely, it was decided to rebuild the House true to its original style, but with more modern interior finishes.
Chubb House was named after former Principal, The Reverend Theophilus Chubb (1892 – 1898).
Rory Jones is now in his 4th year at the helm of Chubb House. His wife Danielha (also house matron) and three children Annabel (8), Hannah (6) and Chloe (5) support him in this role. Rory has a background in psychology and English literature and has been teaching at Kingswood since 2015. He is also the head of Squash at Kingswood.
Houseperson: Rory Jones
Assistant houseperson: Mr Allayne Guest
House matron: Mrs Danielha Jones
Resident teaching assistant: Mr Matthew Halvey
Student assistant: Mr Duncan Rist
Head of House: Jack Mills
College prefects: Caleb Daniels (Deputy Head Boy), Aidan Meyer
Gane House occupies the South wing of School House, the foundation stone of which was laid on 14 March 1894. Gane House was named after former Kingswood College Headmaster, Colonel Ernest G Gane (1892 -1927).
Gane House aims at being a happy house, inhabited by positive individuals who are disciplined and self-motivated; have mutual respect for each other and are striving to reach their full potential in all spheres of Kingswood life and beyond.
As a house, we pride ourselves on ensuring that everyone feels valued, we are accepting of each other’s differences while encouraging uniqueness.
The Gane House boys are under the care of Houseperson Murray Ranger, who is in turn supported by his wife Lauren and their two small children Emily and Olivia.
House Person: Murray Ranger
Assistant Houseperson: William Koopman
Matron: Norma Bill
Teacher Assistant: Lukhanyo Tshongweni
Student Assistants: Sean Herd-Hoare and Cameron Heathfield
Head of House: Michael Shearer
Prefects: Dom Shone, Ben Maposa (Head Boy)
Built in 1904 Jagger House was first known as New Boarding House, and not actually used by Kingswood pupils until after World War 1 and the proceeding Depression years. It was the first boarding house establishment for Kingswood Prep until 1935.The House was named in 1934, in recognition of the generosity of J W Jagger, a prominent Johannesburg businessman and educational philanthropist who donated generously to the school.
Jonathan Leiper has been the Houseperson for Jagger House since 2015. He has been ably supported by his wife Natassa and (more recently) his daughter Alexandra. He teaches in the English Department, manages the Toastmasters programmes and is Head of Cricket.
Houseperson: Mr Jonathan Leiper
Assistant Houseperson: Mr Stegman Van Zyl
House matron: Ms Cynthia Butterworth
Intern Teaching Assistant: Mr David Lack
Head of House: Ethan Yates
Wood House was originally a single storied structure known as Stanton’s Wagon Factory and it is the oldest building on Kingswood’s campus. Initially known as ‘The Annexe’, it was first used for classrooms. The House was named on 21 February 1921 after Henry Richard Wood, one of the Founders and Chairman of the College Council from 1896 – August 1921.
Houseperson Jonny Mallett is starting his first year in Wood House in 2019 and is supported by his Wife Victoria (nee Boucher who did a BY in 1996) and their two children Isabella and Richie.
Houseperson: Mr Jonathan Mallett
Assistant Houseperson: Mr Gareth Shaw
Matron: Ellen Starke – former San Sister she has been in the role for over 20 years
Student Assistants: Alexander Degouveia, Patrick Walsh
Head of House for 2019: Duncan Krige