Learning through play
At Kingswood Pre-Primary, we believe that the ‘classroom’ extends to the playground, and that we can learn invaluable life lessons through play. It is a joy to watch our little ones challenge themselves and gain confidence when trying new things. We watch them flourish as their skills develop and they conquer self-doubt. We applaud co-operation above the competition, which enables each child to develop to their fullest potential and discover their strengths and weaknesses without worrying about the results or being shown up. Instead, it encourages the children to self-evaluate and acknowledge their own areas of growth and improvement.
- Two sandpits
- A variety of climbing and bouncing apparatus
- Cargo net/monkey bars
- A “track” – allowing for numerous gross motor skill activities
- Pretend play – dress up clothes, make pretend houses
- Dinosaur world
- Fairy garden
- Mud Kitchen
- Large chalk wall
- Construction area
Sport, even at such a young age, helps children develop their gross and fine motor skills, balance and coordination, and fitness, but most importantly, it is fun. One of the most exciting programmes at Kingswood Pre-Primary are run by our senior sports coaches, who come and offer fun, weekly sports lessons for all the classes.
In summer, Grade 00 and Grade R classes have swimming lessons twice per week after which they join the sports lessons run by the Kingswood Sports department.
After hours programmes such as Rugga Kids and Playball are also available.
- A bi-weekly story time by Junior School Head, Mr James Hough
- A book-club (library) that each child is able to join
- Pre-Primary Splash Gala for Grade 00 and Grade R
- Parent “getting to know you” events
- The celebration of Mother’s day, Father’s day and Grandparent’s day
- Athletics day
- Superhero day
- Pirate day for Grade 00
- Bike ride followed by a ‘bring and share picnic’ in our playground.
- We support various charity drives such as “Go Yellow”/ “Tekkie Tax Day”
- Looming for Mandela Day
- Chapel with the Junior School twice a term
- Involvement with the Junior School for various activities
- Annual concert
- Visit by Father Christmas
- End of year carol service