Kingswood hosted the Hirsch (U19), SF Edwards (U16) and Sammy Gunn (U14) Shields athletics competition on Saturday (14th September). This boys’ athletics competition is hosted by the participating schools on rotational basis.
This year we hosted the event as part of our 125th celebrations. There were 12 schools participating from the Eastern Province and Border, namely; Cambridge High School (East London), Dale College (King William’s Town), Graeme College (Grahamstown), Grey High School (Port Elizabeth), Hangklip Hoerskool (Queenstown), Hudson Park High School (East London), Kingswood College (Grahamstown), Queen’s College (Queenstown), Selborne College (East London), St Andrew’s College (Grahamstown), Pearson High School (Port Elizabeth) and Muir College from Uitenhage.
As always, our Kingswood athletes gave a good account of themselves and produced some notable results, such as Usivile Zweni in the High jump coming 1st with a height of 1,85m his personal best thus far. Dwayne Pharo winning both 100m and 200m (he just missed the record for the 200m which is 22,00 seconds when he clocked 22,03 seconds), Elan Buchman came 3rd in Pole Vault with a height of 2,7m. The under 16 4 x 100m relay team which consisted of Liyema Adam, Rotino Flusk, Simbarashe Chaparira and Dwayne Pharo finished 3rd.
In the under 14 division Shiloh Nyakutya finished 2nd and the under 14, 4 x100m relay team which consisted of Nthato Kekana, Chris Pautz, Kamva Zweni and Shiloh Nyakutya also finished 3rd. .
In the Hirsch Shield itself Ernest Connan received a bronze medal in the 110m Hurdles and Dominic Shone also received bronze for Shot Put.
It is worth noting that the Hirsch Shield competition celebrates its 102nd year and Kingswood is proud to have hosted this competition as part of our 125 celebrations.
SUMMARY OF THE RESULTS AS ANNOUNCED:
SAMMY GUNN SHIELD (u14)
- Winner: QUEEN’S COLLEGE (67)
- YMCA CUP for runners up – SELBORNE COLLEGE (47)
- GREY (40)
- CAMBRIDGE HIGH (33)
- KINGSWOOD (29.5)
- Field Events: Louis du Plessis cup: Queen’s College
- Middle distance: Leon Jacobs cup: Grey High
- Sprints: Mike Bandey cup: Queen’s College
SF EDWARDS SHIELD (u16)
- Winner: GREY HIGH (69)
- Breytenbach cup for runners up: QUEEN’S COLLEGE (47)
- SAC (40)
- GRAEME (35)
- KINGSWOOD (31)
- Howard Kirkby cup for Sprints: Queen’s College
- Doug Coghlan cup for middle distance: Grey High
- Joe Truter cup for field events: Grey High
HIRSCH SHIELD (U19)
- Winners: Queen’s College (73)
- The Henri Niit Shield for runners up: Grey High (42)
- Pearson (39)
- SAC &Selborne (30)
- Mosenthal cup for sprints: Queen’s College
- Rogaly cup for middle distance: Queen’s College
- Badcock cup for field events: Grey High
- O’Hare cup for jumps: Grey High
- Olivier cup for throws: Queen’s College