“…Probably most importantly: being asked to stay in our homes has given us the gift of family time which, for mainly parents of boarders, but also for all of us is a rare gift. I encourage you to make the most of this time. Science and Maths can wait. Use this time to connect, to discuss, to laugh, to play together…” – Mr David Wright
Our Kingswood Senior School Head, Mr David Wright shared some lockdown reflections as we hit the one week mark of the national COVID-19 lockdown.
Please click through to the link below to read his full letter to our Kingswood community…
Some tips from his letter:
“….so in trying to keep your child active I would like to suggest a few options:
- Firstly, this is an excellent time to focus on core strength which will lead to injury prevention. There are numerous YouTube links and online platforms that provide bodyweight (exercise using bodyweight rather than gym equipment) regimes that can be easily done in the living room or an outside space.
- Secondly, this is a good time to focus on the micro-skills of the winter sports where possible. Hockey is an excellent example, where simply doing yard sticks, v-drags and so on will enhance overall skills. Top players around the world do these on a regular basis (as opposed to simply spending time on the astro hitting balls)
- Lastly, this is a good time to be start thinking about exercise differently. One of the main aims of exercise is to elevate the heart rate: this can be done in a variety of ways from jumping on the trampoline to creating obstacle courses around the garden or house. The more parts of the body that are used, the better.
“…This is also a time that your children can develop experiential learning. There are so many beautiful opportunities being offered for free online at the moment such as:”
- David Walliams is releasing free audiobooks at 11h00 (GMT) each day. Although these are better aimed at younger children they are still a wonderful break from our new day-to-day regime. To hear these audiobook click on the link: The World of David Walliams
- The Bolshoi Theatre of Moscow is broadcasting several classical opera and ballet performances live on YouTube. To see when they will be screened click through to the link: Bolshoi Ballet Performances